unhandled exception: Arithmetic operation resulted in overflow

Welcome to the Cursor Node forums. These forums are run by the developers behind the Cursor Node program. Please feel free to join the discussions, or ask questions if you need help. We hope you will have a pleasant stay.
speedyg869

unhandled exception: Arithmetic operation resulted in overflow

Post by speedyg869 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:37 pm

Cursor node issues:
Running Win 7 Pro SP1
Classic Theme (Aero disabled)

I Installed Cursor Node v1.21.7557 (Stable). Read the Windows 7.txt and readme.txt files.
On first launch I got an un-handled exception error, Titled "CustomCursorList", Arithmetic operation resulted in overflow. Recommended enabling JIT Debugging. Did not get a snapshot because Windows wanted permission to modify the system. Everything else was greyed out. Closed program and checked support site for this error. Restarted CursorNode. Under the Cursor tab, tried to change the cursor to "Flint Blade". Got another un-handled exception error, Titled "Microsoft .NET Framework", Arithmetic operation resulted in overflow. Decided to setup JIT Debugging, but looking at the config files, I find there are three. I also can't find the line to enable JIT.

Please let me know if you need more info. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

Admin
Site Admin

Re: unhandled exception: Arithmetic operation resulted in overflow

Post by Admin » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:52 pm

Thanks for reporting this problem.

I have done a quick test on our test system and everything seems to be in order. Sometimes, strange problems can be caused by Windows bugs.

Firstly, JIT won't yield anything useful. So, you can disregard Windows' suggestion. For now, we can compare notes to make sure we are on the same page.

Our Windows 7 machine isn't up to-date and the version is: Win 7 Pro, Build 7601, SP1

For .net 4.6, I have just installed using NDP46-KB3045560-Web.exe from Microsoft. In Programs and Features, the size is 38.8MB and version is 4.6.00081.

What specific version of Windows and .Net 4.6 do you have?

speedyg869

Post by speedyg869 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:58 pm

Thank you very much for responding!
My PC has:
Win 7 Pro version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601 [Same]
Microsoft .NET Framework v4.8 (4.8.03761)[Newer]

Details of the exception:
System.Overflow.Exception: Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow.
at System.IntPtr.op_Explicit(Int64 value)
at .)23tnIU . 23tnIU((gnirtS(-%=sq%NYM@'D>t oT\*8\&R\&".) sgrAtnevEdegnahCssergorP ,tcejb(System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnProgressChanged(Cha[?End of error window?]
at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.ProgressReporter(Object arg)
************** Loaded Assemblies ***************
mscorlib
etc. If you need the rest of the error output, I can include it but I have to type it by hand.

As a side note: The Desktop Composition feature is not enabled under System/Advanced/Visual Effects. I don't think that is the issue, but I'm going to enable it anyway because Discord complained about it.

I hope you find an upgrade for .NET v4.8.
Sorry, but I can't justify the volatile world of Win 10 and having everything reorganized just to suit a new Project Manager.

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:01 pm

I removed .net 4.6 and installed 4.8.03761 using ndp48-web.exe from Microsoft. CursorNode didn't work. After rebooting Windows a couple of times, the program started to work normally, and it continued to work thereafter. As far as I can see, there's nothing wrong with the program.

I was running CursorNode from an administrator privileged account. Are you doing the same? In the past, we had strange problems when some Windows DLL had the wrong version on the user system. The DLL was reported in the Event Logs. See if you can find any DLL listed in the Event Logs crash entry? Please give me the version number of all the windows DLLs involved in the crash.

Windows 7 is running quite long in the tooth. The best option is to upgrade to Windows 10. The cursor is less flickery in Windows 8+. Also, in exclusive full screen mode, the max cursor size is 64x64 for Windows 7. Larger sizes are useable from Windows 8 onwards. A further limitation of CursorNode on window 7 is that cursor customization for anti-cheat protected games is not possible. Although, the highlighters will work.

I can only speculate the problem could be to do with your Windows installation. One way to find out is to install a fresh Windows 7 in a test partition. The other thing I can suggest is uninstall and reinstall your .net 4.8. You can also try using the Pure64 edition of CursorNode and see if that makes a difference. Same applies for the Legacy edition.

speedyg869

Post by speedyg869 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:49 am

I was running CursorNode from an administrator privileged account. Are you doing the same?
No. I was hesitant to do so since it was throwing out of range arithmetic errors.
I just tried that and it works now! I will look at the event logs as well. I'm sorry if I wasted your time.
Next I will check out a custom cursor and see how Win 7 handles it.

Thank you for your time and efforts!

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:29 pm

You are welcome, and no time was wasted. It's a slight surprise that an admin account was needed. It's a long time ago that we did thorough testing on Windows 7. I will test it some more on non-admin accounts for Windows 7. There is no requirement to run CursorNode in admin mode. Admin mode will simply make the program appear more cohesive when there are programs of various elevation being used. A lot of games run in admin mode, and CursorNode would be considerably less useful while not being elevated.

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:11 pm

Non-admin account has been tested and CursorNode works fine with that. The program was installed from an administrator account.